Tsalt Red Velvet Braised Short Rib Recipe
Tsalt Red Velvet Braised Short Ribs
- 8 whole beef short ribs
- Tsalt Red Velvet
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 6 pieces pancetta, diced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole medium onion, diced
- 3 whole carrots, diced
- 2 whole shallots, peeled and finely minced
- 2 Cups red wine
- 2 Cups beef broth (enough to almost cover ribs)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Add a generous amount of Tsalt Red Velvet to the short ribs, then dredge in flour and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, cook pancetta over medium heat until complete crispy and all fat is rendered. Remove pancetta and set aside. Do not discard grease.
- Add olive oil to pan with the pancetta grease, and raise heat to high. Brown ribs on all sides, about 45 seconds per side. Remove ribs and set aside. Turn heat to medium.
- Add onions, carrots, and shallots to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in wine and scrape bottom of pan to release all the flavorful bits of glory. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes.
- Add broth, 2 teaspoons of Tsalt Red Velvet. Add ribs to the liquid; they should be almost completely submerged. Add thyme and rosemary sprigs (whole) to the liquid.
- Put on the lid and place into the oven. Cook at 350 for 2 hours, then reduce heat to 325 and cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes. Ribs should be fork-tender and falling off the bone. Remove pan from oven and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes, lid on, before serving. At the last minute, skim fat off the top of the liquid. (Can also refrigerate mixture, then remove solid fat from the top.)
- Serve 2 ribs on bed of creamy polenta, spooning a little juice over the top.